Christmas Island in your lens
It’s hard to imagine a more visually tantalising place to photograph than Christmas Island. All around you are sights, colours, textures and landscapes you’ll want to capture, so bring nature to life through your lens. From soft, pastel sunrises to glorious sunsets, Christmas Island is bathed in ever-changing tropical light. Vivid colour is everywhere, from the crabs’ rich reds to the rainforest’s deep greens, to turquoise waters. Catch the robber crabs on film, zoom in on gentle orchids and twisting vines, and train your lens skywards to capture the elegance and freedom of rare birds in flight.
Underwater photographers have a kaleidoscope of colours and shapes to shoot. On land the imposing, inspiring and detailed architecture of temples and other built form keeps shutters clicking.
Video cameras capture the sights and sounds of millions of scurrying red crabs, or the hauntingly musical call of the island’s thrush, and the stirring call to prayer from the mosque.
Best spots for best shots
- Martin Point – for staggeringly beautiful sunsets and seabirds.
- Blowholes – capture the energy of the water on a rugged coastline.
- Dolly Beach – impressively large robber crabs plus turtle tracks.
- Hughes Dale Waterfall – an iconic island place for your unique shot.
- Blowholes Road – get creative with a special tree along the road.
- Greta Beach – nesting turtles all year round make wonderful pictures.
- Island temples – rich colours fused with wisps of incense smoke.
- Tai Jin House – capture the detail of this building and its gardens.
- Flying Fish Cove – for underwater photography.
Indian Ocean Experiences
Photography safaris to Christmas Island:
Chris Bray Photography
Join Chris Bray Photography on a Christmas Island Photo Safari – This excitingly unique and completely unrivalled week-long photography tour includes 4WD-ing, boat trips, snorkelling, blowholes, cave swims, night trips, presentations by park rangers, all meals, a hotel room with precious air-conditioning and a view over the ocean! For further information – see: Chris Bray Photography Christmas Island Safari
Pamela Jennings Photography
Come and join Pamela as she teams up with fellow professional photographer Mark Rayner on an exciting week long photographic exploration of this amazing natural paradise. Small groups mean lots of one on one time to learn and practice new skills with experienced tutors. Great accommodation overlooking the Indian Ocean tops off the days of beautiful coastal and rainforest locations accessed by 4WD, more crabs and bird life than you can poke a stick at, night sky photography and a snorkelling trip. To find out more about this all-inclusive workshop visit Pamela Jennings Photography