Christmas Island in your lens
It’s hard to imagine a more visually tantalising place to photograph than Christmas Island. All around you are sights, colours, textures and landscapes you’ll want to capture, so bring nature to life through your lens. From soft, pastel sunrises to glorious sunsets, Christmas Island is bathed in ever-changing tropical light. Vivid colour is everywhere, from the crabs’ rich reds to the rainforest’s deep greens, to turquoise waters. Catch the robber crabs on film, zoom in on gentle orchids and twisting vines, and train your lens skywards to capture the elegance and freedom of rare birds in flight.
Underwater photographers have a kaleidoscope of colours and shapes to shoot. On land the imposing, inspiring and detailed architecture of temples and other built form keeps shutters clicking.
Video cameras capture the sights and sounds of millions of scurrying red crabs, or the hauntingly musical call of the island’s thrush, and the stirring call to prayer from the mosque.
Best spots for best shots
- Martin Point – for staggeringly beautiful sunsets and seabirds.
- Blowholes – capture the energy of the water on a rugged coastline.
- Dolly Beach – impressively large robber crabs plus turtle tracks.
- Hughes Dale Waterfall – an iconic island place for your unique shot.
- Blowholes Road – get creative with a special tree along the road.
- Greta Beach – nesting turtles all year round make wonderful pictures.
- Island temples – rich colours fused with wisps of incense smoke.
- Tai Jin House – capture the detail of this building and its gardens.
- Flying Fish Cove - for underwater photography.
If you would prefer a guided photography tour of the Island, please see : Indian Ocean Experiences
Photography safaris to/on Christmas Island
Chris Bray Photography conducts safaris every May : Chris Bray Photography
Pamela Jennings will be conducting a Christmas Island Photography Workshop in 2017 :
Pamela Jennings Christmas Island Workshop 2017
Local Kirsty Faulkner will be conducting a Christmas Island Photography Tour
26 September - 3 October - for more details, see Faulkner Photography Christmas Island
Download a free photography e-Book : Christmas Island - a Photo Journey (click here) - 44MB
by Andrew Marriott and Rob Namestnik (photojourney.smiliemail.org)